Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Weekly Wednesday Inspiration #26

-by Matt Leedham

I am fascinated with prison life. I watch shows like Lockdown and Locked Up Abroad and love movies like The Shawshank Redemption and Escape from Alcatraz. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and for awhile I never understood why I was so intrigued. After reflecting on it a bit, I now understand what's going on.

I'm afraid of going to prison. Some people are afraid of spiders or heights. I'm afraid of prison, particularly being sent there for a crime I didn't commit. It took me just a moment to realize why I'm so afraid. With core values around freedom, possibilities, and family, it's no wonder being in prison is scary to me.

But after watching the video below, the fear is subdued. I look at this man, Dewey Bozella, wrongfully accused and sentenced for a crime he did not commit, and I realize that values are boundless. They cannot be imprisoned.

Dewey values truth, honor, discipline, perseverance, love, forgiveness, and gratitude. He paid dearly for these values, but lived a life worth living. And although it took him 32 years to be vindicated and released, he is now just beginning his true quest in life.

I hope you are inspired by this video. I hope that you see what we've been saying for a while - your values are not negotiable. I have not been tested like Dewey has, and I hope you will never be tested in this way either, but I want you to believe that when you are stripped of everything, you still have possession of a few things which can never be taken from you: your thoughts, your beliefs, your emotions, and your values.

Live by them.






No comments:

Post a Comment