Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Donating My Face

-by Matt Leedham

Perhaps it’s the season of thanks and giving, or perhaps I was inspired by Jaime generously donating her iPad to charity, but yesterday I decided to donate my face to a good cause.

Recently, I learned that November is dedicated to raising awareness and funds for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men. Movember, the official movement, is responsible for hundreds of thousands of men growing moustaches in support of men’s health. The men that participate in Movember, known as Mo Bros, “effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November.” Movember also collaborates with the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG, the Lance Armstrong Foundation.


Why Am I Participating?

Why have I chosen to sport a moustache for the month of November, which will likely get me strange looks from friends and strangers alike?

I don’t actually know any men that have suffered from prostate or testicular cancer. And moustaches have a weird reputation in America.

Think about it. Some people view them as stately or gentlemanly, especially if worn by a older man. Some view them as creepy, especially if you drive a van. Some think of certain professions, such as firemen and police detectives.

So why do it?

The answer is simple really. It’s because I can. How easy is it for me to grow a moustache? Very easy. How much time and effort does it take? Very little. What’s the impact I can have? How much money can I raise? That depends on you!

Ultimately, how much awareness can I bring to men’s health? The ROI on this investment is huge.

Frankly, I couldn’t think of a reason not to do it.

Well, that’s not entirely true. I may look a little silly. I may feel a little uncomfortable. I may feel a little insecure. But so what? If I can just get over my ego, I can make a difference. The choice was simple.

Of course, like a good husband, I asked my wife first. After considering our social commitments for November, she was on board!

How Can You Help Me?

It’s simple. First, help me spread the word about this awesome movement of moustachery. Tell the men in your life to get involved, sign up with Movember, and create a donation page. It’ easy and took me less than 3 minutes.

Second, pony up some cash to support the cause on my donation page! Again, it’s really easy. Just go to my page (http://mobro.co/mattleedham) and give a dollar, five dollars, or whatever you can afford. You can donate to me or donate to my awesome team of Mo Bros.

Donations of $50 or more will get you a copy of one of my favorite books of human triumph, Unbroken (or another book if you’ve already read this incredible true story).

Donations of $250 or more will get you three individual coaching sessions with me, or an Energy Leadership Assessment and 1-hour debrief.

Together, we can raise awareness and much needed funds for research. Your help and generosity is appreciated.

Happy Movember!


Note: the Movember website is experiencing some serious traffic for obvious reasons, so please be patient if you are having delays getting online.


1 comment: