Thursday, July 21, 2011

Learning from my Little Sister

- By Jaime Willis

For the past week, I've had the pleasure of hanging out with my 16-year old sister, Ryn.  She normally lives in California and/or Michigan, so I haven't had a chance to see her in person in TWO YEARS.


I figured we'd have a great time catching up, and as I'm the older sister (one of my students in class this week asked her if I was her Mom!!!), I'd get a chance to impart some sisterly wisdom.  What I didn't count on was getting the opportunity to learn from her, but I am pleased to find that the sisterly wisdom is a two-way street.

Yesterday, we were at Union Station, where I was temporarily setting up shop to take an hour-long call.  Watching someone listen on the phone isn't very fun, so Ryn wandered around Union Station, window shopping, people watching, and taking photos.

After I got off my call, she was sharing with me all the cool stuff she found around the mall.  In the last store she went in, she was playing with one of the kaleidoscopes they had on sale.  As she starts looking through the viewfinder, she has this realization that the patterns she is seeing right now will likely never happen in exactly that way again.  Then she really started to pay attention to the patterns because, she thought, if she was the only one in the universe that would ever see that same pattern of colors and shapes, she better relish in the experience so the patterns aren't wasted.



This entire conversation is taking place as we are speed walking back to the metro so I can make another meeting I'm late for. At this point in the conversation, she turns to me and we both pause for a moment.

Then she says, "And I thought, wow, that's true of my whole life.  Every single experience I have is the only time that it will happen in exactly that same way.  I better pay attention!"

I replied, "That's actually pretty profound, Rynnie. Wow!"

She giggled a bit, and said, "I know, right?  That's a lot of deep thinking from a kaleidoscope!"

I agreed, and we began walking rapidly again on the way to the metro and that moment disappeared in the rush of commuting.

What a great thought to keep in mind, though, as we go through our day.  Every single moment you live is unique, and therefore precious.  Pay attention!

Thanks, Ryn, for that wonderful gift.

Love,

Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment