Wednesday, December 22, 2010

New Year, New You?

- by Jaime Willis

"When you are finished changing, you're finished." - Benjamin Franklin


I was browsing through my facebook feed the other day and one of my friends had written this as her status update, "No New Year's Resolutions for me - I like me just the way I am."

First, I applaud my friend for her healthy self image - that's a huge accomplishment that many of us struggle our whole lives with. But, I think she may have missed the point of New Year's resolutions. Resolutions don't have to be about dissatisfaction with your life, although a lot of common resolutions certainly are: losing weight, quitting smoking, etc.

Resolutions can also be goals that help you continue to grow and learn. In 2011, I am resolving to visit two countries and two U.S. States I've never been to before. That goal is not about any deficiency in my life, it's about experiencing new things and seeing the world, one of my own personal core values.

The New Year is a great time to reflect on both what you don't want in your life (extra weight) and where you do want to go in your life (e.g. travel, school, promotion, family, etc.)

I hope you take the time in the coming days to reflect on both! And, if you want help in creating or executing your goals, sign up for our New Year's Resolution Workshop Extravaganza on January 8th in downtown DC for just $20. Sign up now!


No comments:

Post a Comment