Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Knowledge Without Action

-by Matt Leedham

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
-Will Rogers

By no means have I got it all figured out. But I will acknowledge that I am good at learning something new and then, at least for a little while, trying it out in my life to see how it will work.

From time management skills, to communication methods, to exercise and diet ideas, to management techniques, to personal efficiency strategies, I’m always trying something new. I love to learn, but I love even more to experiment with what I have learned.

Not so strangely, this has not resulted in me becoming the perfect human. Far from it! But, what it has done is put a nice variety of tools in my little toolbox that I can use when I need them. For 10 years, I’ve been picking up little bits of wisdom from workshops, books, the internet, and all those bright people that have crossed my path. More importantly though, I’ve attempted to implement many of those ideas into my life as I learn.

I re-read the quote above this morning and couldn’t help but think of our latest class of achievers that attended our workshop this Saturday. After speaking with most of them, they’ve got a lot of thinking and reflecting to do. And that’s great! You should reflect on important matters like your who you are and where you want to go.

But it can’t stop there!

Try what you have learned. Share what you have learned. Try to teach someone else what you have learned. Put into action all that you have learned and you will make you, and everyone around you, better for it.

“The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action.”
-Herbert Spencer


No comments:

Post a Comment