Friday, March 25, 2011

TGIF: Scott Paltos

Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a great week of achievement. If this is your first time reading our blog, Welcome! You can read more about Velocity in the tabs above this post. If you'd like a daily dose of inspiration, like us on facebook or add us on twitter. To the right, you can also subscribe to our newsletter and our blog!

The Achiever

My name is Scott Paltos and I am the owner/operator of PUMP CrossFit Performance in East Hanover, NJ. Before I go any further I would like to thank Matt, Jaime, and Velocity Goals for this opportunity to discuss my goals and successes.

For a brief introduction, I am a Strength and Performance Coach. I work with an array of clients ranging from working house mothers all the way to high level professional athletes. I have been in the industry for over a decade now and it is not only my passion, but a part of my life. For the majority of my life I have been involved in athletics or training. For over 15 years of my life I played football at every level possible, and have not stopped competing.  Now I play in a high level amateur baseball league, compete in CrossFit, and have also experienced powerlifting and strongman competitions. Like I mentioned before, training, nutrition, and performance is part of my life as much as it is my members and clients.

The Goal

Wow, this is easy. I ALWAYS wanted to have my own facility. That facility would be one that elicited not only great results with whom trained there, but created an awesome environment in which NO ONE ever wants to leave.

Why This Goal?

The choice was easy - I live the life. I have seen a lot out of the industry in the short decade that I have made it my career. The whole time I have had the opportunity to work with some of the best coaches in the nation. I have been able to gain so much through their knowledge and teaching and I still learn everyday. The opportunity to create this performance facility was the ultimate goal. Besides a place I could call my own, it is a place members can call their own as well.

The First Step

Jumping in full throttle. You see, I have worked for a big name training facility on the east coast, been a high school PE teacher and coach, helped create an education program for health club trainers, as well as work as one too. I have always had a roof to train under, but one that was not mine or in the mold I would want it to be in. There was always someone else calling the shots and dealing with the balance of intricacies and details. The step to just go for it was scary and still is, but worth it. I know I can work with people and train, but the business side and organization is what really scared me.

Challenges

I can honestly say I do not feel there have been many obstacles and challenges. Not to say there haven't been some slow downs or second guessing, but I refuse to look at it like that.  I am human, so sometimes I do get frustrated.  But, I like to think if there is something in the way, it is just another puzzle to be solved. The puzzle just has a piece missing in the box somewhere - I just have to find it and plug it in. We all know it is not that simple, but I attempt to look at them that way.

Staying Motivated

There is no need to re-motivate...I believe I am always motivated to do well and make PUMP a lifelong goal. I will add that a number of my members motivate me. These people have awesome outlooks on life and how they take on the world. They come in and just light the place up. They add a whole other dimension to why I opened PUMP. I guess it goes hand in hand...I get asked one to two times a day, "When are you not in a good mood?"

My response is "I am not always in a good mood - what I am is focused on doing what I have to do - making you, this group or team better, getting you to where you want." I am very self motivated, but certainly have some help from the environment in which I work in at PUMP.

Who Helped?

Rudy Gutierrez.  He has been nothing but supportive, helpful, and in my corner. Rudy helps with a ton of stuff around PUMP - including all of our pics, videos and any other website updates. He is a driving force behind the early success PUMP has had so far.

Then Dr. Jason Sonners - he is my Chiropracter and Bodywork Therapist. This guy and his whole practice Core Therapies in East Hanover, NJ are top notch. Jason was the little birdie in my ear for the past 5 years telling me, not just saying, but telling me to open my own place. He was right.

My Mom and Dad (Kathy and Robert) - have been there for me my whole life. In all the games I ever played - my mom missed 1 and dad 0 - 1 in 15 years of athletics! I highly doubt there are many people who can say they have had such supportive parents. They helped build my sense of independence and work ethic.

Finally - my wife Lindsay. She has been with me and stuck by me through all career changes, ups and downs. There has been no one more supportive of my lifelong goal of opening my own facility than her. Lindsay keeps me grounded and certainly on my toes ;). Without her support and love, PUMP would never have been born.

The newest source of drive - my twins. Although they are so young right now - just seeing their faces makes me want to do that much better. They make me work that much harder. They are the epitome of happiness for me.

TGIF! Celebrate!

I am not completely there yet - so i do not feel a complete sense of accomplishment. PUMP is open, PUMP is growing, PUMP is making an awesome name for itself locally, regionally and nationally, BUT it is never done growing. I know what I want it to become, but it is a long time away.

Advice
Work hard, surround yourself with good supportive people, never stop learning, always maintain a sense of dignity and desire, continue to lead the life of passion for what you are doing, and most of all remember who is important and do not forget how to treat them. Real simple, real short.

What's Next?
What's next - my regular Friday schedule. All in all it is not that bad...starts at 6:15 and is done by 6:30 in the facility, and then another 2-4 hours worth of catch up work, website updates, workout logs, and nutrition distance work. Tuesdays and Thursdays are much longer.

As I mentioned earlier the real mission is not complete. PUMP is on its way and I am proud to say there have been some great things going on for us there. It will have to continue in order to flourish. Personally I am in the midst of competing in the CrossFit Open Secionals. This is the first round of competition that can lead to the CrossFit Games in LA come late July. Qualifying would really help the business and make a personal name in the community of CrossFit. I do not fit the normal mold of competitors, which makes the success that much more rewarding. The whole time I can not lose site of PUMP and what it offers to all its members, clients and gym family.

Again, thanks to all for this chance to express and explain some of my story and success. Hopefully this allows someone else to continue forward with his/her personal goal(s). If anyone is around in the northern New Jersey area...swing by PUMP CrossFit & Performance in East Hanover, NJ....check our website out at www.pumpcrossfit.com....even search us on facebook PUMP CrossFit & Performance. See what we do and join us one day.




1 comment:

  1. Scott, I wish you great success and fulfillment in your new endeavor. I have only known you to give it your all and know you will succeed. May the best of everything come to you.
    And you look fab.

    ReplyDelete