Friday, February 11, 2011

TGIF: Peter Shankman

TGIF:
This Goal Is Finished

Good morning achievers! Hope you've had a wonderful week!

If this is your first time on our website, welcome. Velocity is about helping you find and achieve your passion through personal goal setting. You can find out more about us by clicking on any of these links.

You can sign up for our weekly newsletter by filling in your email address in the toolbar to the right.

If you are inspired by reading our achiever interview below and want to get on the achievement bandwagon, sign up for our latest Goal Setting Workshop on February 19, 2011 in Washington, DC.

Today's This Goal Is Finished achiever is Peter Shankman. Peter Shankman is one of my favorite 'big deals' on the internet -- last year, he trained and completed an Ironman! He is also a social media expert -- he runs the Help a Reporter Out (HARO) network. If you've ever wanted to get leads on a story or get noticed for your own story, HARO is the way to go!

The Achiever


PR Week Magazine has described Peter as “redefining the art of networking”, and Investor’s Business Daily has called him “crazy, but effective”. Peter Shankman is a spectacular example of what happens when you merge the power of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) with pure creativity and a dose of adventure, and make it work to your advantage.

An entrepreneur, author, speaker, and worldwide connector, Peter is recognized globally for radical new ways of thinking about Social Media, PR, marketing, advertising, creativity, and customer service.

Peter is perhaps best known for founding Help A Reporter Out, (HARO) which in under a year has become the de-facto standard for thousands of journalists looking for sources on a deadline. In addition to HARO, Peter is the founder and CEO of The Geek Factory, Inc, a boutique Marketing and PR Strategy firm. Peter is the author of Can We Do That?! Outrageous PR Stunts That Work--And Why Your Company Needs Them and Customer Service: New Rules for a Social Media World (Que Biz-Tech).

The Goal

My goal is to never know the difference between work and fun.

Why This Goal?

It’s important to know that work can be fun. The two can be the same - There’s no reason not to enjoy life to the fullest, and work should be a part of that.

The First Step

I’ve found that I work well in specific ways, and am able to enjoy those ways. For instance, I’m better working on my own as an entrepreneur than I am having a boss.

Challenges

Every failure contains a seed for success. You simply have to learn from what you’re doing, whether it’s the right way or the wrong way. I’ve tried to learn something from every failure - If you can, it’s not a failure.

Staying Motivated

There are always new ways to stay motivated. For me, it’s skydiving, running, and public speaking. Those things excite me and keep me going.

Who Helped?

Everyone needs a good mentor. I’m fortunate to have several.

TGIF - Celebrate!

My goals are constantly evolving. If at the end of the day, I can say I’ve had a good day and a lot of fun, and I’ve helped someone, that’s an accomplishment for me.

Advice

Do not quit. And do not listen to the haters.

What's Next?

I’m currently on a quest to get to 10 percent body fat, and am documenting it publicly at http://ayeartotenpercent.com





No comments:

Post a Comment