Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Jaime's Big Goal

I, Jaime Willis, will run fifty 10-kilometer "races" by the end of 2011.

Like everyone else in this universe, I always, always have a goal about my body for New Years. Lose weight, gain muscle, eat healthier, etc. And, over the last several years, I've been pretty consistent about achieving those goals. It seems like its that last little bit of weight that is always the hardest to lose (or to keep off). Although good health is ultimately a lifestyle thing, having the same "weight" goal year after year is boring.

So this year, I'm switching things up a bit. I still want to lose a bit of weight, but I want to do it by challenging myself. So, in the style of Eddie Izzard's marathon extravaganza, but scaled down to minimize injury to my creaky hip and knee joints, I am going to be running 50 10Ks (6.2 miles) this year. That's one a week, with room for just a couple of whoops weeks.

My rules:
1) The entire distance has to be run at once. No adding all the walking around for the week.
2) Walking, jogging, running, and ellipticalling (totally a word!) all count as "running."

Starting when? Actually, starting last week! I've run two 10Ks so far, and have 48 to go. While most of my 10Ks are going to be gym races, I will be doing a few road races as well. Want to join me?

Sunday, May 15, 2011: Capitol Hill Classic, Washington DC.
Saturday, June 11, 2011: Lawyers Have Heart, Washington DC.
Saturday, June 25, 2011: Reeds Lake Run, East Grand Rapids, MI.

If you have a 10K road race you'd like to recommend I run, please email me.

One way to stay motivated to keep working on a goal like this one that is going to take ALL YEAR to finish is to create a reward chart for yourself, so you can see the progress as it happens.
Above is the chart I've made for my 10k project. Make your own chart on powerpoint, or buy one that fits your needs. Never underestimate the power of stickers to motivate you!

Great Motivation Chart/Tools:
  • Life Calendar. Create a smiley face for each day of the year. You decide what you are going to do to earn a smiley face.
  • Hand-drawn Chart. Maggie Mason colors in a square for every 15 minutes she exercises.
  • "X" Chain. The productivity secret that Jerry Seinfield uses.
  • Stickers and Charts. An entire website devoted to making goal charts for kids.
  • Stickers! Oriental Trading has more cute stickers for your chart than you'll know what to do with.
  • Joe's Goals. Keep track of multiple goals online or on your phone!
Keep plugging away at your big goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment