Friday, November 4, 2011

One foot in front of the other.

-by Jaime Willis

(psst: Today at 12:30pm EST is your last chance to donate to win the iPad. Thank you to everyone who donated -- I was able to raise $300 for Charity: Water and the winner was Debby Vig! See our Charity:Water donation page here!)




In January, I declared to the world (or at least our facebook and blog following) that I was going to run FIFTY 10K (6.2 mile) races this year. That was one a week for the entire year, and two weeks of "vacation."

This past Sunday, I ran my 29th* 10K race -- the Marine Corps 10K. There were lots of races I wanted to run this year, but the timing wasn't right, so this is literally the first 10K I've run as an actual race. (With Medals. I'm a big fan of medals!) *Update:  I've now run 31 races.*

If you are doing the math right now, you are probably noticing that 29 is a little far away from 50, especially with 9 weeks left in this year. I know! I did the math too. The summer wasn't great for my health goals -- I was busy and DC was *hot* -- and those are both excuses.

Nine weeks, 21 races. Still totally doable. So, this weekend, I plotted and planned out how I am going to do it. Monday and Thursday evenings, Saturday mornings mostly. With several travel plans in there, I am rearranging this and that to fit this into my schedule. If all goes well, I'll finish a week early. If not, well, I have an extra week to try to make it.

I've said to folks before and I'll say it again, I really want to finish this goal. Even if this means that I am walking multiple 10Ks in a row on December 31st, that's what I'll do.

Life is like this really. You are always too busy. There are always extenuating circumstances. But if you really want something, just put one foot in front of the other and keep walking until you hit the finish line.



No comments:

Post a Comment