Thursday, November 17, 2011

How to Make a Difference

-by Matt Leedham

For many years I have said, “I want to make a difference. I want to contribute something to this world, and leave it in a better condition than I found it. I want my life to MEAN something!”

And, as you can see from the commentary on this week’s post, The Meaning of Life, others have powerful interpretations of the purpose and meaning of their lives. Many of you said, in both the comments on the blog and on Facebook, that serving others and making a difference was important to you.

While these intentions are commendable and worthy of praise, what lies at the core of our need to “make a difference?”

Does the impulse to make a difference arise from the ego’s need to feel worthy? For example, if I am not convinced my simple existence makes a difference, I may need visible evidence that I do by having an impact on something around me.

What if, instead, I didn’t need proof that I am worthy of making a difference? What if, by the nature of me living fully, using my gifts and talents, I will make a difference?

What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.


No comments:

Post a Comment