Monday, August 22, 2011

Celebrate like a child!

-By Jaime Willis

Last week was my birthday.  At my age, birthdays are no longer the euphoria-enducing affairs they once were.  I don't go to bed excited for the day to arrive, imagining what great toys I will receive and what celebrations I'll have.  I enjoy greetings from my friends and family, and usually organize a dinner at my favorite restaurant and call it a celebration.

Jaime & friends at Alero in Washington, DC

This year, however, turned out a little differently.  Of course, I still got lots of birthday greetings and cards, and I still had a wonderful dinner party with my friends.  But, my nephews, 2 year old-Tate and his brother, 3.5 year-old Landon, understood what a "birthday" is.  They were so excited to hear that Aunt Jaime was having a birthday.  Their initial suggestions for presents included a vacuum (huh?) and a dump truck (this one I understand, as they both love cars and really, anything with wheels).

So, when I came home to Michigan for the weekend, my brother and sister-in-law told me that I would be having a real birthday party, as the boys were so excited to celebrate.

When I went over to my brother's house on Friday evening, the boys greeted me at the door.  "Happy Birthday Aunt Jaime!" "Happy Birthday Aunt Jaime!," they both shouted with glee.  They could hardly wait for the party scheduled for Saturday evening.  Their energy was infectious -- and I found myself excited for my birthday again too.  Would I really get a dump truck?

I decided to go out all for the party -- I bought my plates in my favorite characters, Batman & Hello Kitty, a bouquet of balloons, and playdoh party favors for all the guests.

Batman, Hello Kitty, and the cake Landon, Tate, and their Mom, Becca, made.

The boys and I spent the hour before the party deciding which guest would receive which color of playdoh, what we would make with it after the party (cars, cars, and more cars), and trying not to touch the "lalloons."

I ended up with some truly awesome gifts -- a matchbox car, an "awesome job" dog stamp, some airplane stationary, and a ceramic kitty.


We played with playdoh, ate cake, and the boys ran around the house trailing bunches of balloons until they were too tired to stand.





The evening was so enjoyable! It was so fun reliving a birthday through the joy and wonder of toddler eyes.  I wonder how many other things in our lives would be different if we enjoyed them like my nephews do.  Car rides are the epitome of awesome -- so a traffic jammed commute may seem like a cool adventure.  Getting to play outside is so fun -- when is the last time you walked out of your door just to experience nature?  The night isn't complete until the boys have been read a story -- when is the last time you took time to read for fun?

Think today about how you can live your lives a bit more like a small child -- I have no doubt your day will be cheerier for it.  Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment