Friday, May 6, 2011

TGIF: Danielle Philbrook

TGIF:
This Goal Is Finished

Good morning achievers! Hope you've had a wonderful week!

If this is your first time on our website, welcome. Velocity is about helping you find and achieve your passion through personal goal setting. You can find out more about us by clicking on any of these links.

You can sign up for our weekly newsletter by filling in your email address in the toolbar to the right.

If you are inspired by reading our achiever interview below and want to get on the achievement bandwagon, sign up for our Five Star Life workshop. We are holding our next DC workshop on June 4, 2011.  If you can't wait for the workshop to get your life on track, email Matt or Jaime for a free intro session and learn more about how personal coaching can help you achieve! 

Today's This Goal Is Finished achiever is Danielle Philbrook. Danielle is one of Jaime's former coworkers who attended one of our Five Star Life workshops last year.  She followed up with some coaching from Matt, and you'll see that it made a huge impact on her success this year!


The Achiever

My name is Danielle Philbrook and I live in Annapolis, Maryland. I am originally from New Hampshire and stay true to my roots, however I’ve grown to love all things Annapolis: sailing, crabs, and old bay. I am still carving my path in life while enjoying every bump, twist, and turn that maybe thrown at me.

The Goal

My goal was to obtain a new job which provided me with the following: at least a $5,000 pay raise, comprehensive benefits to include dental and vision, one that provided me with a way to give back to the community, and be less of a commute than Annapolis to DC- all by September 2011.

Why This Goal?

I chose this goal for a few reasons. First, I received my masters in Public Administration last June and wanted to find a career that more closely aligned with my education. Second, I knew I had reached my potential at my last position and with no growth opportunities in sight, moving on was the next step. And third, I needed a challenge, something new and exciting to get my blood pumping every day.

The First Step

My first step was to reach out to Matt Leedham and have him review my resume. I knew it needed updating and some flair, which Matt was easily able to assist me with. This allowed me to go onto my next step of actually putting my resume out there to potential employment opportunities with confidence.

Challenges

During my process my largest obstacle was finding a career which was closer to home, Annapolis. As I began my search I quickly realized that during these hard economic times I’d have to budge on my goal. So I readjusted my sights and made my goal that I would be no more than 35 miles from home. Now I realize that seems like a lot to most people but when you live in a city that feels like an oasis when you go home then you’ll appreciate my willingness to drive.

Staying Motivated

In all honesty, my goal didn’t take me nearly as long as I thought it would take. I didn’t need much to keep me going because after about a month of searching I had found my place - I'm now a manager at a national non-profit organization.  I got double the pay raise I had planned for, great benefits, and a host of new and exciting responsibilities as a manager to keep me engaged at work! 

Who Helped?

Matt was huge in helping me attain my goal! THANK YOU!!!! He provided me with great clarity and wisdom when editing my resume. From this I felt confident that I’d be the stellar candidate for the right position.

I utilized Idealist.org to pursue new career opportunities which I would highly recommend to anyone searching for work in the non-profit sector.

TGIF - Celebrate!


When I accepted the job, I did a happy dance. ☺ I was thrilled that I had taken the leap that I knew I should be taking. I was a bit overwhelmed that I had honestly found a new career in a month and not the 7 months that I had budgeted for.

Advice

I know the job market is a tough one right now but I cannot stress how instrumental Matt was in providing me with just the right amount of tweaking in my resume. He not only provided me with new and interesting wording but he consistently complimented me on my endeavors thus far. He gave me the inner confidence I needed to reach out for jobs that I had previously said, nope I’m not the right fit. My suggestion for you is to find someone who can do the same for you because that ego boost will truly allow you to set your sights high! (Ed note: If you are interested, ask Matt or Jaime about a one-time power coaching session!)

What's Next?

Danielle & her neice, Cambria, who she will get to
visit in NH more often now that she is making more
money for travel expenses! 
What’s next….well I have my list of goals laid out for the year which are all aligned with my values and vision.

My next few goals are financial goals which consist of paying off some debt and also saving for a trip to go see my friend Kate in Texas this fall.

By following the steps that Jaime and Matt gave me I was able to lay out a good foundation for myself that showed me clearly what goals were attainable and which ones needed some more massaging!


No comments:

Post a Comment