Monday, April 4, 2011

Triathlon Training: Origin Story

-By Jaime Willis

No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch.


As many good things do, our story begins through the intervention of Sam Horn. In addition to being an incredibly talented writer and successful entrepreneur, Sam is a Connector in the true Malcolm Gladwell sense of the world. She has the gift of bringing people together to accomplish amazing things.

When Sam began thinking about what to do to honor an upcoming "big" birthday, she was inspired to DO something. Something BIG. Something BOLD. An experience that, on reflection, would stick a metaphorical flag into the ground, saying with gusto, "I did that!" She decided to complete a triathlon.

Sam, being the connector that she is, immediately glommed on the idea of having her friends and family join her in her birthday quest. As you can probably guess, shortly thereafter Matt and I got the call to join her.

I'll be honest, when Sam first called and asked Matt and I to join her in completing a mini-triathlon, my answer was no. I was already working on a big physical challenge of my own. I was so busy already adding another weekly item to my schedule was a lot to ask. I didn't own a bike and the last time I'd swam a lap was to cool off in a hotel pool. No one would fault me if I chose to pass on this opportunity, I thought.

So, the problem with being the Chief Inspiration Officer at a company focused on getting people to achieve their goals, no matter how audacious, means I know what a string of excuses sounds like when I hear them. Even when they are coming out of my own mouth.

My "new" bike - a Schwinn Varsity -
the original "Ten Speed" Bike.
What really sold me on this program, though, was Sam's approach. I always thought that completing a triathlon meant competing in a triathlon -- I needed to be the fastest runner, the strongest biker, and the slickest swimmer in order to be a triathlete. As you may know from my running posts, I am the antithesis of 'speedy.'

Sam's focus was not on competing, but on COMPLETING this event. What a great reminder of why we achieve goals. If winning was our only goal, we'd spend much of our life disappointed. But when we open ourselves to being a part of a great new experience, we all win just by participating.


If you just got a little zing by the thought of being a Triathlon Completer, join us! We welcome everyone, regardless of age or experience! We are committed to ensuring that everyone finishes the race and has fun in the process.


1 comment:

  1. I already have a checklist. I will link it later today in my training plan post. And I'll definitely talk about nutrition. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete