Friday, September 23, 2011

Improving...

By Jaime Willis

I am a messy person.

Very messy.

Noteworthy messy.

Most of the fights, groundings, and disappointing notes I got from my parents growing up had something to do with cleaning my room.

Thirty-five years later, not much has changed.  Left to my own devices, my apartment, my office, my car, and any other space I occupy gets disorderly, cluttered, and then ridiculously overwhelmed with stuff in short order.

This year, I decided that I was sick of being a messy person and wanted to become a neater person.

I spent twelve weeks with a coach of my own devoted to the topic of cleaning and organizing my apartment.  Yes, you read that right.  TWELVE weeks.  THREE months.  Devoted to cleaning.

And, at the end of three months, my coach and I came to a very clear conclusion.  Neat and clean is something I am just not capable of being.  My values don't align with prioritizing housework over ANYTHING else.  My working style doesn't align with doing routine tasks (as an aside -- take a Kolbe if you get a chance -- this assessment is so enlightening!)

I was striving to BE someone I am not.

Instead, I decided that, although I'd like to live neater, I cannot be the one to make that happen.  And then I hired a housekeeper.

You guys.  Seriously.  This was one of the single best decisions I've ever made for myself.

My housekeeper Olga and her crew came in and cleaned my house to within an inch of its life.  It has literally NEVER been cleaner in my house than it is right now.  And I didn't have to do ANY of it.
It is glorious.  And totally worth giving up television for (I am using my cable money to pay for a cleaner).

I spent a lot of time being angry, guilty, and ashamed with myself for not being a "neat" person.  I thought if I could just 'get better' at it, I'd be a better person.  Guess what? We can't all be good at everything.  My mother is an AMAZING homemaker. Her house is always tidy, she cooks wonderful meals, and is so hospitable with guests that hotels should take notes.  I didn't get that gene from her.   Instead of worrying about what I am not, I have finally accepted what I am, which allowed me to solve the "problem" in a completely different way.

And I am so happy!


3 comments:

  1. Acceptance is bliss!!!! Awesome post Jaime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danielle -- hope you are doing well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your dear mumsie suggested this idea to you years ago. But in the end, when its your decision it feels so much better. I am so happy for you. A home should be a nice place to come back to. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete