Friday, April 8, 2011

TGIF: Pat Reynolds

TGIF:
This Goal Is Finished

Good morning achievers! Hope you've had a wonderful week!

If this is your first time on our website, welcome. Velocity is about helping you find and achieve your passion through personal goal setting. You can find out more about us by clicking on any of these links.

You can sign up for our weekly newsletter by filling in your email address in the toolbar to the right.

If you are inspired by reading our achiever interview below and want to get on the achievement bandwagon, sign up for our Mini Triathlon Training Program and complete a Triathlon just like Pat before the summer is over!

Today's This Goal Is Finished achiever is Pat Reynolds.  Like many of us, Pat wanted to do something extraordinary for her birthday.  Although she had never ridden a bike before and never been swimming, she decided that she could train for and finish a triathlon! Read the rest of her story below to be inspired by what happens when you BELIEVE you can ACHIEVE!

The Achiever

From L: Chris, Michael, Pat, and Brian Reynolds
My name is Pat Reynolds and I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I am a wife of 31 years, mother of two sons and a soon-to-be daughter-in-law. I love football and baseball, a home filled with family, and a healthy lifestyle to enjoy it all.

The Goal

My primary goal was to complete a sprint triathlon with a distance of 400 yards swimming, 12 mile biking, and 5K running. My secondary goal was not to be last!

Why This Goal?

I chose this goal in honor of my 50th birthday. I had never looked at myself as much of an athlete when I was younger. I often felt uncoordinated and to compete in something like this was terrifying. I felt that way even though I have two boys who were quite athletic throughout high school.

I really wanted to overcome my fears and do something that I never thought was possible. I literally had no previous experience with biking or swimming, but I wanted to challenge myself.

The First Step

The very first step for me was to actually sign up for the race. Once you make that commitment and register, it’s very hard to back out.

Also, getting up the courage to tell other people was a big step because, to be honest, I didn’t know if I could finish a triathlon. Again, I felt that I had a commitment I couldn’t get out of. Once that mental shift happened, it changed everything for me. Since backing out wasn’t not an option, going forward was the only way.

Challenges


Challenges? Yes, there were a few! My first challenge was not knowing how to ride a bike or how to swim. I must have fell off my bike 100 times. I had to start in a parking lot. A few weeks in to the training, my legs were covered in bruises. And the first time riding my bike on a proper road was terrifying.

Learning to swim the freestyle stroke was a bit overwhelming for me. So I learned to swim the breaststroke which was a bit easier and allowed me to keep my line of sight when swimming in a pool or lake. At first, I barely had the stamina to make it from one end of the pool to the next.

It took me one month to learn how to ride a bike and nine months to train for the race. Consistency was so key for me. Even though I wasn’t going far or going fast, I had to keep plugging away to get better and better.

Staying Motivated

Once I set the goal, I didn’t really get off track. Of course, having a trainer really helped hold me accountable. But to be honest, I found myself really enjoying the experience! I began to make it a priority and schedule my life around my workouts. I simply looked forward to training and that really kept me going.

Also, I had so far to go in terms of building up endurance and basic skills, that I didn’t really have time to goof off or skip a few days of training.

My goals was to go slow and steady and just finish the race. Baby steps and consistency were really important for me. This also gave me small accomplishments to feel good about as I progressed.

Who Helped?

The guy that talked me into doing a triathlon cuts my hair. He’s really into triathlons, so he got me all excited about it. Then, every month I saw him and felt accountable to him. This was really helpful and kept me on track and motivated.

My personal trainer was integral in monitoring my progress and pushing me to go further each week.
My husband and sons were very supportive. My youngest son, Chris, would come out with me when I was first learning to ride a bike to encourage me.

All of my girlfriends were great cheerleaders. It was so scary to tell people outside of my immediate family about my goal. But what I found was endless support and encouragement. They were all so happy for me and helped me stay focused. In fact, one of my girlfriends actually joined me in the race which was great fun!

I was also really inspired by the other competitors. Some of the younger guys that got started ahead of me were already finishing the race as I was just getting started on the bike. As we passed each other, they would cheer me on and tell me how good I was doing. Everyone wants others to succeed and it’s a great environment to be in.


TGIF - Celebrate!

As I approached the finish line, my son Chris ran the last 50 meters with me. He was really excited and it gave me a burst of energy to finish strong.

One of my girlfriends is a school teacher and she had her class make a big banner that they held up at the finish line and I got to run through it! Finishing the race, and having my friends and family with me, was the best feeling in the world.

Funny side note: when I actually crossed the finish line, the first thing that came out of my mouth was, “I only fell off the bike once!”

Also, I didn’t finish last!

After the race, we all had a big tailgate and celebrated with great food and drink. It’s so rewarding to share an experience like this with people you love.

Advice

For someone like me that is just getting started with training, consistency is so important. It’s important to remember this especially on days when you don’t have a great workout and may not be feeling so good. What you have to realize is that baby steps are so important. Just a little at a time and you will eventually get there.

Also, when confronting your own doubts and fears, reach out to your support network. Mentally, there were times that I thought I couldn’t finish a triathlon. But rather than give up, I turned to my friends and family, and they gave me the perspective and support that I needed to carry on.

What's Next?

My goal for this year is to launch a fundraiser in Atlanta for the Wounded Warrior Project – an organization that meets the needs of physically and emotionally injured veterans. Through counseling, adaptive sports, and job training, the organization strives to ensure that this generation of veterans is the most well adjusted in our history.





No comments:

Post a Comment