Friday, January 7, 2011

TGIF: Jackie Cantwell

Happy Friday everyone! We are really excited to introduce you to this week's achiever, Jackie Cantwell. Jackie is the energetic founder of Curating for a Cause, which brings artists, performers, non-profits, food, drink, and the public together to do good. I know--excellent, right? Read on and get inspired to make your life's passion happen!

My Name is Jackie Cantwell and I am 24 years old. I am the president and founder of Curating for a Cause. I love food, art and music… so it’s a good thing that our events have all three.

Curating for a Cause creates and executes art oriented fundraising events, primarily in the form of art exhibitions and auctions, for non-profit organizations. In all cases, a majority of the proceeds go directly to the featured organization. Not only do our events benefit the organization monetarily, they also serve as a forum to promote artistic talent, connect with various networks and provide marketing opportunity for all parties involved. They are FUN, and you do not have to be quiet.

Furthermore, participating artists’ benefit from an established exhibition and installation opportunity, connection with patrons and promotion of their name. The commission from sold works is always substantially less than a commercial gallery fee.
My goal was to produce fun, interactive art events where everyone (artists, patrons, and the community) can come together to support a great cause while taking something away for themselves.
I grew up tip- toeing around the stacks of hundreds of paintings inhabiting my home. I even fondly remember at the age of six biting the toes of a performance artist at an exhibition, becoming part of their piece. There was no question that whatever I was going to do would be centered in the arts.

When I realized that I wanted to put on arts events to benefit non profits, events that were accessible to the public, affordable without taking away from the quality of the art, had music, a great venue, and a fun and interesting crowd of patrons I asked myself if it had already been done. Was there a company dedicated to this? I had to fill that void.
A friend of mine, Andrew Horn, is the executive director of Dreams for Kids. We spoke about my goal over Japanese rice crackers and he suggested I come on as the Art Director for DFK. He allowed me to create something out of nothing.

With DFK as a cover I was able to reach out to artists with a purpose to back me up. I was amazed at the response I got. With no budget, and very little experience, I planned their first arts fundraiser in the form of an 84 piece art show and auction. It was an opportunity for high schoolers, college students, and professionals from around the area to show work. Nationally renowned artists Theo Wujcik, Reid McIntyre, and Pat Obrien were among those I convinced to donate. Not only was there amazing art work, but the venue, Paolo's Ristoronte in Georgetown donated the space for free along with an extremely delicious spread of free eats. One Big Woo, one of my favorite groove bands from the area signed on to perform as a donation to top it off. I had never worked so hard at something nor felt better. It filled my mind with ideas and motivation for my next steps.
The term “starving artists” rings very true. At the time, I was living in Reston and commuting to DC almost every day. DFK was a volunteer position and art lessons were put on many family’s back burners as money was, and still is tight. I was broke. I wanted to continue putting on events, but gas, materials and time were becoming an issue.

I began to take on many projects. After the success of DFK art benefit at Paolo’s in Georgetown I was signed on as their curator. They wanted an art show up every month after realizing what the art added to their atmosphere. Dreams for Kids wanted to do more events and opportunities for partnerships were becoming available. I never said no.

Eventually, I had way too much on my plate and realized I could not do it all. I had to let go in order to perform at the level that I wanted to. It was here where the idea of cutting out the gallery and inserting curating for a cause came in. I began work on a business plan that would later become the backbone for what I am doing now.

I had to put all of my energy towards one goal.
One of the biggest parts of putting on an exhibition is meeting with artists. Each artist I meet re-motivates me to continue with research and stay on my game. Artists are some of the most self-motivated people and it is truly inspiring.
My Dad, Mike Cantwell, is the man. Not only has his house acted as a storage space for many shows, he is also who taught me how to cut, mount, frame, ship, pack, and hang work. He has taught me how to be patient.

Josh Phelps was our first partner. He taught me that two heads are better than one, and to never be afraid to ask for help. He made me realize that a lot of resources were available as long as you aren’t afraid to reach out to them.

The killer duo of Sam and her son Andrew Horn has helped in more ways than one. Andrew, executive director of Dreams for Kids gave me the opportunity that grew into something more. His Mother, author Sam Horn took me into her home and mentored me through the process. She instilled in me the importance of goals and the reflection projects that have been finished.

Berit & Joey Coleman, (staples in the crowds at our auctions) have showed me the importance of building relationships with the people who attend our events.
Curating for a Cause’s first art auction took place at the Affinity Lab on U Street. After setting up food from the 6 Arlington restaurants that donated, setting up speakers for Matt Hemerlein and One Big Woo, and stacking the 500 drinks donated by PBR I looked at the door and there was a line.

I walked around the space and made sure all the work tags were in place and time seemed to rush by. It was 8 and time for the auction. I reached for the first piece of work and paraded it around the room. It was filled. The bidding began, and I had goose bumps. I did it.
If you are unhappy at your job… quit it. Find something you love and go after it and never stop. Set goals for yourself and achieve them.

My friend Andrew and I decided on the 6-week rule. If you can look back 6 weeks from now and your life was the exact same, you were unhappy about something and it has not changed… then you need to act on it. If you look back 6 weeks from now and you can’t imagine being where you are, and you are excited for what’s to come. You’re doin’ fine.

Shake what your momma gave ya and don’t stop ‘til you get enough.
Curating for a Cause just wrapped up its last show of 2010 at L2 to benefit Dreams for Kids. It was such as success, we have signed-on to put on a show there every two months. We are currently looking for a new non-profit to support in March 2011. We hope to continue to provide arts experiences for those who love them and for those who’d like to learn more. This year will be about reaching out to people who would like to incorporate art into their lives.

Your blank wall will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment