Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr's Legacy

-by Jaime Willis

"But recognize that he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. That's a new definition of greatness. And this morning, the thing that I like about it: by giving that definition of greatness, it means that everybody can be great, because everybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You don't have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve. You don't have to know Einstein's theory of relativity to serve. You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love. And you can be that servant."

From "The Drum Major Instinct" sermon by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. While we remember the great legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr., I challenge each one of us to live his legacy today. King's legacy is one of service and of compassion.

Cory Booker, the Mayor of Newark, New Jersey, and probably the most prolific political Tweeter, asked people this weekend to share how they make the world better in small ways. Here are a few of their suggestions.

@SelkieBlue I sometimes anonymously leave box of non-perishable food on stoop of my 93yr old neighbor lady. Its 2 hard 4 her 2 shop

@dwaynetodd just saw a man leave a bag of lunch next to a sleepitwitng homeless man in DC.

@alycyamiller I compliment some1 when I sense they're feeling down

@MzCaliRich: tell grocery bagger thank u or bank teller have a nice day acknowledge ppl who seem invisible smile & look in the eye

@DanielleinDC: shoveling snow for my elderly neighbors

@rainbowlite: I donate old books, magazines , CDs and DVDs to library. I let someone w 1 or 2 items go in front of me at the store. #MLK

@hsmaury: Volunteer at your local animal shelter. #MLK

@hsmaury: Move errant shopping carts out of the parking lot so cars don't get hit. #MLK

@PhilNobleSC: I pick up resturant tabs for service people, especially at airports.

@jenbrentano: my daughter and I get bagels and coffee and bring them to our local fire department.

@mcrumr: leave hidden notes of appreciation for a person to find

I know that I will be spreading the legacy of MLK today, and I hope that this attitude of service lasts longer than today for us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment